Internet is flooded with freelancer platforms where anyone can find opportunities to work from home. It is an offline shop where Business owners can find quality and economical workers for their project. These freelancer sites offer jobs related to various skill categories but Computer and Cyber Security are main of them. These websites provide work ranging from 5$ to 5000$ and even more. These sites offer part time, full time assistance and project based jobs. Freelancers are always interested in where to get registered or start their freelancing journey. In the same way, Business owners are also interested where to find sincere and authentic freelancing workers to flourish their business.
This article gives idea about good freelancer marketplace. Whichever is the case, Freelancers and Business Owners need a freelance marketplace comparison which gives them clear understanding of which platform to choose for their objective. Among all the freelancing websites, Fiverr and Upwork are superior in all aspects of dealing with customer related services. But the question is…which is better? Answer is not straight because both these websites help freelance business in entirely different ways. Here is a quick overview of battle between Fiverr and Upwork.
Let us first understand about Fiverr and Upwork.
Fiverr, established in February, 2010. It is most popular website in United States of America and now ranks in top 100 sites of US. Joining Fiverr is an easy task and one can find jobs or freelancers ranging from 5$ to 1000$. Fiverr is having annual revenue of more than 5 million US dollars. By September 2019, it was having 5.5 million clients and 8.3 million freelancers worldwide. Some important facts of Fiverr are covered as follows:
- In Fiverr, Freelancer offer skills that can be applicable any number of services.
- Business Owners show interest in available skills and offer jobs.
- Fiverr offers jobs with very minimal skills even at 5$.
- If you have small budget and want to get things done very quickly, Fiverr is best for you.
- Fiverr charges around 5 % to 20 % of the project cost.
It was formerly known as Elance-oDesk which was started in 1999. Upwork is the result of merger between oDesk and Elance in March, 2014. It is the biggest freelance marketplace in the world. By September 2019, it was having 5 million clients and 12 million freelancers worldwide. Its annual revenue is over 1 billion US dollars. Below are some facts about Upwork.
- One offer services closely related to your skills.
- One bids on jobs defined by client contracts and ranging in various categories.
- Upwork believes in advanced skills before you can start working on any project.
- Upwork is a place for 100% professional and highly skilled people.
- Freelancers charge high on Upwork as the platform charges from 10 % to 20 % of their earnings. It depends on value of the projects they are going to do.
Major key differences between work culture of Fiverr and Upwork :
- Sign Up – Joining Fiverr is just one normal step of signing up and easier than Upwork. Upwork joining process is little bit difficult as it has started filtering new freelancers. Sometimes freelancers access request is denied because there are too many available freelancers of same skillset. So, in this Fiverr wins in term of ease of doing business.
- Flexibility – Nowadays, Upwork has started suspending freelancer profiles who do not fulfill criteria over the Period of time. However, Fiverr gives flexibility to freelancers to work as per their availability and schedule as it does not suspend profile of inactive freelancers. In this case, Fiverr is better option for part time freelancers.
- Finding Work – In Fiverr, one needs to wait for the client to find your skill while on Upwork, one can apply to the job postings available. In this case, getting first job is easy on Upwork than Fiverr. But on Fiverr, one can impress the clients with their skill and earn massive jobs. We can give plus rating to Upwork in this case.
- Hiring – When it comes to hire freelancers, Fiverr is quite quick and simple in comparison to Upwork. Fiverr helps in hiring freelancers in few clicks while it requires lot of communications when it comes to hire freelancer in Upwork. Fiverr is absolutely a winner here.
- User interaction – When we talk about the number of user interaction with Upwork and Fiverr, we find the both are at the same place. In September 2019, 41 million users visited Fiverr. A survey says that 43 million people landed on the Upwork. It is tie for Upwork and Fiverr.
- Earning – When it comes to earnings, Fiverr offers jobs Starting worth 5$ to 1000$. While Upwork deals with high quality and high value job. It rarely offers job worth 5$. Earning is more in Upwork if you are highly skilled. So, both are better in this way depending on what you are looking for.
- Quality – When it comes to quality, Upwork makes no compromise in that. It believes in quality users, quality work and quality clients. Your rating will be high if you deliver high quality services. It can even suspend the account if you don’t follow their rules. Though Fiverr also believes in quality but it is not as strict as Upwork. So, low performers can be found on Fiverr. Upwork wins the race in this scenario.
So, this was the comparison of two major freelancer giants. There are other websites also which offer freelancer services. Before we make a final verdict about best platform, it is important to note that “one thing fits all” approach is not applicable to freelancers platform. It is a tie or tough to say which freelancer website is best. It actually depends on freelancer and business owner interests. By looking at the comparison, one can spot the appropriate platform that will work best for them.